- 1 pan of Corn Bread, prepared from XO Baking Co. Corn Bread Mix, cooled and crumbled.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 recipe for Ground Sausage, cooked and crumbled (See below)
- 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 20 oz. ground meat (pork, turkey, chicken)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- Mix all ingredients together in large mixing bowl. Cook and crumble meat in a skillet and set aside for use in the cornbread stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 13×9 Pyrex baking dish. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in sage, thyme and garlic powder.
- Mix corn bread, onion mixture and crumbled sausage in a large bowl. Add chicken broth and mix well. Spoon into baking dish. Bake 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- 2 pounds potatoes (Yukon gold or russet, peeled and quartered)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ cup cream or half/half (milk is fine too)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Filling (meat mixture)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef, lamb or turkey
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped, about ½ cup
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons XO Baking Co. All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2-3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup frozen peas
Boil potatoes until tender and drain. Put potatoes back in pot or another medium sized mixing bowl. Mash potatoes while warm and mix in sour cream, egg yolk, and cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the ground meat. Season meat with salt and pepper accordingly. Brown meat and crumble into pieces. Add chopped carrot and onion to meat and cook for another 5 minutes.
While meat is still cooking, in another small fry pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and whisk in the flour, for 1 minute. Butter will start to turn brown. Whisk in the cup of broth and Worcestershire sauce, until butter/flour mixture, has thickened into brown gravy. This should take about a minute. Add gravy to meat mixture. Stir in peas. Taste meat mixture and add salt if needed.
Turn on the broiler. Fill a small/medium rectangle glass dish with meat mixture. Top the meat with mashed potatoes and spread so the meat is covered. You can add a little color by sprinkling some smoked paprika on top of the potatoes. Put the dish in preheated oven, until potatoes are lightly golden on top.