Yield: 9 cinnamon rolls
Prep time: 20 minutes
Rest time: 1 hour
Cook time: 20
1 box XO Baking Pizza Crust Mix
⅓ cup white sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten (room temp)
1 cup warm milk, plus more for brushing (optional)
¼ cup melted unsalted butter
½ cup unsalted butter, very soft
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Cream cheese frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
1⅓ cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the pizza crust mix, sugar, eggs, milk, and melted butter on medium-high speed for 3 minutes. The dough will be slightly sticky, but workable.
- Using a rubber spatula, with lightly oiled or buttered hands, remove the dough, and roll into a ball. Grease the bowl with cooking spray and place the dough back into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. The dough should almost double in size.
- To make the cinnamon filling, in a medium bowl, combine the softened butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt until uniform.
- Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with two overlapping pieces of parchment paper. Leave some paper hanging over the sides for easy removal.
- When the dough is done rising, lay a 14-inch piece of plastic wrap on a work surface. Cut a piece of parchment paper roughly the same size. Place the dough on top of the plastic and lay the parchment on top of the dough. Press the dough into a rectangle about 12×10 inches.
- Evenly spread the cinnamon filling over the dough. Starting at the long end, carefully roll the dough into a tight pinwheel, lifting the plastic with each fold. Cut the roll into 9 thick slices and place them in the prepared baking dish cut side up, leaving a little space between. Cover with a dish towel and let rise for 20-30 minutes, until puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through in the center, but still soft.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then use the parchment paper to transfer the rolls to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a large bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese and butter with a whisk or electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until uniform.
- When the rolls are fully cooled, spread the frosting on top and serve.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the powdered sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and milk until smooth. For a thinner glaze, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. If your glaze is too runny, add powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, to reach your desired consistency. Pour the glaze over the cinnamon rolls before removing them from the baking dish and spread into an even layer with an offset spatula.